Like with the expedited permit process, the time it takes to issue a permit can be reduced by pre-qualifying electrical plans from trusted installers.
- Residential Solar PV Standard Plan Guideline
- Pre-Qualify Electrical Plans
- Pre-Qualify Installers
NCTCOG has developed a Solar PV Standard Plan Guideline that can guide installers in preparing residential rooftop solar PV plans. Local governments could also use this Solar PV Standard Plan Guideline in conjunction with the Solar PV Expedited Permit Checklist to provide conditions to installers that, if met, would qualify for an over-the-counter permit, in lieu of submission. Even if over-the-counter review is not available, following this guideline is recommended to assist in streamlining coordination and permit processes with the local government.
Best Management Practices for Local Governments
- Address Solar in the Zoning Code or Adopt a Solar Ordinance
- Create a Central Information Source
- Create a Permitting Checklist
- Develop Criteria for Expedited Processes
- Develop Solar-Ready Guidelines or Adopt a Solar-Ready Ordinance
- Engage Homeowners Associations
- Pre-Qualify Electrical Plans and Installers
- Standardize Permit Fees