In many cases, solar installations within a jurisdiction may be very similar to one another. A jurisdiction can use permitting criteria to differentiate between standard and non-standard installations and can streamline the review process for low-risk projects.
- Streamline Permitting: Develop Criteria for Expedited Process
- Sample Solar PV Expedited Permit Checklist
This document is a white paper created by Solar Ready II to provide best management practices for developing criteria for expedited processes and includes examples of different cities' expedited permitting requirements.
Best Management Practices for Local Governments
- Address Solar in the Zoning Code or Adopt a Solar Ordinance
- Create a Central Information Source
- Create a Permitting Checklist
- Develop Criteria for Expedited Processes
- Develop Solar-Ready Guidelines or Adopt a Solar-Ready Ordinance
- Engage Homeowners Associations
- Pre-Qualify Electrical Plans and Installers
- Standardize Permit Fees