One of the simplest ways to make solar permitting easy and efficient is to adopt the use of a permitting checklist. A checklist benefits both the consumers and city staff by clarifying the requirements for permit approval. To maximize this benefit, the checklist should be made available online and posted in a prominent, easy-to-find location among the variety of other permit information offered by the city.
- Report Summary on the Impact of Permitting and Local Regulatory Processes
- Streamline Permitting: Create a Permitting Checklist
- Sample Solar PV Permit Checklist
This document is a white paper created by Solar Ready II to provide best management practices for creating a permit checklist that summarizes the necessary regulatory steps. Examples are included for residential and commercial photovoltaic system applications and checklists as well as a photovoltaic system review.
The Solar PV Permit Checklist is a sample checklist that may be adopted or adapted to each city's needs. So far, this permit checklist, or a similar checklist, is being used at the following cities: Southlake, Plano, Allen, Mesquite, Benbrook, Cedar Hill, and Kennedale.
Best Management Practices for Local Governments
- Address Solar in the Zoning Code or Adopt a Solar Ordinance
- Create a Central Information Source
- Create a Permitting Checklist
- Develop Criteria for Expedited Processes
- Develop Solar-Ready Guidelines or Adopt a Solar-Ready Ordinance
- Engage Homeowners Associations
- Pre-Qualify Electrical Plans and Installers
- Standardize Permit Fees