Central information sources help by making all the necessary information for solar installations available in an accessible and clear location. Similar to how the www.gosolartexas.org website is a regional central information source on solar energy, a best management practice for cities is to create their own. Such a webpage, preferably located on the City's website, will help consumers and installers reduce costs by cutting down on the time it takes to find all relevant information about getting a solar installation up and running.
- City of Cedar Hill
The City of Cedar Hill has a webpage dedicated to solar panel energy systems with information on its solar ordinance, its solar panel permit and inspection processes, and consumer protections.
Best Management Practices for Local Governments
- Address Solar in the Zoning Code or Adopt a Solar Ordinance
- Create a Central Information Source
- Create a Permitting Checklist
- Develop Criteria for Expedited Processes
- Develop Solar-Ready Guidelines or Adopt a Solar-Ready Ordinance
- Engage Homeowners Associations
- Pre-Qualify Electrical Plans and Installers
- Standardize Permit Fees